Sunday, September 29, 2013

My Favorite

Say what you will, my favorite plant may be Boxwood.

Of course, ask me that when Gardenias are in flower. Or Tea Olives. Sasanquas in the fall. Lenten Roses in the early Spring. Hydrangeas in the heart of summer. All pretty, to be sure.

But would any of those be my favorite plant when not in flower? Not a chance. No, none have the presence or the personality, of Buxus sempervirens.

Predictable, you say? What's the problem with something that always looks good? Boring, you suggest? Reliable, I reply. But there's no color! No flower! No interest!

Go find your own favorite plant and leave mine alone.

The first Boxwoods on American soil were planted on Long Island, New York in 1653 at Sylvester Manor. The plants had been shipped from Amsterdam. The house still stands though I'm not sure the Boxwoods remain, never having visited. I have seen a photograph taken of the garden in the late 19th Century. Two enormous Boxwoods flank a white picket gate, each shaped like angry storm clouds, wild and untamable. Cuttings from these first American Boxwoods were spread throughout New England. Perhaps they still live on.

Boxwoods can live 600 years. They are a symbol of immortality, as all evergreen plants seem to be. But 600 years? That's as immortal as I need a garden plant to be.

Some people dislike the smell of Boxwood foliage. To them it smells like cat pee. I rather like the scent, though I dislike cat pee. To me, Boxwood smells like age or history. Like old books or faded cash or forgotten trunks newly opened.

This weekend, K. and I planted thirty American Boxwoods. We had already installed about 40 'Wintergreen' Boxwoods as hedges to define the garden. Those are Korean Boxwoods, though. They are great for hedges but are surely no one's favorite plant. Our American Boxwoods, though, are the punctuation at the ends of the hedges. They anchor our formal beds. To me, they ice the cake.

While they may be only 18" tall tonight, I've found that they grow quickly enough. Before we know it, we will be trimming them into big fluffy balls. I love their Muppet quality. Each seems to have a personality. I love to brush them while walking through the garden. I love the rustling sound of their foliage. I love the dark green color throughout the year. I hope to knock a light snow from their branches this winter.

If asked about my favorite flower or tree or herb or vegetable, I would offer a different answer.

But my favorite plant? Tonight, it's Boxwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment